Our range of tasty veg packed bakes are perfect for any seasonal spread and we get asked quite a lot about suggestions for the best gravy recipe to have as an accompaniment. So…just for you, we have worked with fabulous vegan recipe developer, Romy, to come up with the ONLY gravy recipe you’ll need this Christmas – vegan caramelised shallot and black pepper gravy.
You’re welcome 😉 and have an amazing pie-filled Christmas!
Caramelised Shallot & Black Pepper Gravy
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
● 4 shallots, thinly sliced
● 2 tbsp olive oil
● 1 tbsp maple syrup
● 1 tsp + 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
● 2 tbsp vegan butter, unsalted
● 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
● 1 tbsp plain flour
● 500ml vegetable broth
● 1 tsp black peppercorns
● 1.5 tbsp tamari soy sauce
● Salt & black pepper to taste
● Fresh thyme leaves for garnish (optional)
1. In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vegan butter. Add the thinly sliced shallots and cook them slowly until they are softened and turn golden brown. Stir in the maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of tamari and cook until the shallots are caramelised, stirring occasionally. Once done, set aside.
2. For the gravy base, melt the remaining vegan butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk continuously for about 1-2 minutes to create a roux. Gradually pour in the vegetable broth while continuously whisking to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
3. Once the broth has thickened slightly, add the shallots, peppercorns and remaining tamari to the saucepan. Stir well and season generously with black pepper and a pinch of salt to taste. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
4. You can serve the gravy with the shallots, or if you prefer a smooth gravy, simply strain it through a fine-mesh sieve. If the gravy is too thick, you can adjust the consistency by adding a bit more broth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
5. Ladle the vegan caramelised shallot and black pepper gravy into a gravy boat or a bowl. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves if desired and you’re ready to drizzle it over your favourite roasted vegetables alongside a Clive’s Pie & Nut Roast